Malcolm Evans needs barely any introduction among professional semioticians. He’s the founder of Space Doctors and Semionaut and has for decades been on the vanguard of commercially applied semiotics. Being a former conultant at the UK’s first specialist semiotic agency Semiotic Solutions and founder of Space Doctors, Malcolm has worked for a wide range of clients including P&G, Mercedes, Mastercard, GCK, Unilever, Coca Cola, Tesco, American Express, Vodafone and Unicef. A former academic and Shakespeare scholar, Malcolm has won WPP’s global Atticus Grand Prix award for outstanding published work in marketing insight and is twice winner of the UK MRS conference’s best paper awards. He is co-founder of semionaut.net, a global forum for sharing ideas in brand, cultural & sociopolitical semiotics.
Farouk Y. Seif is Professor Emeritus of Leadership and Change at Antioch University Seattle, Washington where he teaches design for initiating and leading social/cultural change. He is a registered architect, an artist, and design consultant who has taught design, creative thinking and visual communication in several universities in the United States and abroad and has published, lectured and exhibited his artwork internationally. He is founder and director of Isis Institute and originator and organizer of the Intercultural Study Program “Journey into the Dawn of Time” in Egypt. He is also a Fellow of the International Communicology Institute, and the Executive Director of the Semiotic Society of America.
We are also very-very happy to announce a truly rich and inspiring list of speakers and topics, altogether with special Creative Inspiration slot we have 27 presenters and presentations and here they are in alphabetical order.
- Al Deakin. Dr. Robin Pharoah. Hybrid Collaborations: Commercial innovation using semiotics and ethnography. Case studies and position. Al Deakin is a Director of Insight, Space Doctors. Dr. Robin Pharoah is an Anthropologist and Ethnographer, Future Agenda.
- Alpana Parida. The BRICS Bank – a New World Order. Case study. DY Works Branding Agency, President.
- Andrey Makarychev. Alexandra Yatsyk. Nation branding through sports mega-events: an experience of networked research. Case study – based academic research. Andrey Marychev is a Guest Professor at the University of Tartu. Alexandra Yatsyk is a Guest Researcher at University of Uppsala.
- Andrius Grigorjevas. Semiotics as a Collaborative Tool. Methodological innovation. Head of Strategy at IDEA GROUP LITHUANIA (a group of integrated communication agencies, www. groupidea. lt); lecturer at Vilnius University (Faculty of Communication).
- Chris Arning. Do you know what your brand sounds like? Musical Navigator – A Semiotic Tool for more Strategic Use of Music in Branding. Founder-Director, Creative Semiotics Ltd.
- Einar Svansson. Waste and Volcanoes: How to brand & design the bad & the ugly with clever semiotics. Assistant professor, Bifröst University.
- Hamsini Shivakumar. Decoding & Encoding “Herbal” in Packaging. Case study. Director, Leapfrog Strategy Consulting.
- Indrek Ibrus. Neo-classical or evolutionary semiotic approach to innovation? Could semiotics provide a critical tool to analyse innovation processes and policies? PhD; Tallinn University.
- Karin Sandelin. Innovating television to meet the divergent needs of an entire population. Case study. TNS Sifo, Semiotician & Art Director
- Kateřina Ailová. Lucia Trézová. Wheelchair as a gamechanger. Case study. Kateřina Ailová is a Chief Innovation Officer at IdeaSense. Lucia Trézová is an Independent Researcher and Brand Strategist, Czech Republic.
- Kyle J Davidson. How can a backend semiotic analysis of a website or application, assist in tailoring a user’s experience of the frontend journey, thus improving the interaction at key points via a deeper level of prototyping? MA student in Modern Liberal Arts at Winchester University (UK), focusing on Semiotics of Language.
- Louise Jolly. Charise Mita. A Clash of Codes: Innovation vs. Luxury – How will brands resolve their differences? Louise Jolly, PhD, is a Semiotician. Charise Mita, PhD, is a Managing Dir of Culture & Curiosity, FLoC Industries LLC.
- Dr Malcolm Evans and Peter Rock. Coming of Age – semiotics, innovation and the 55+ market. Founder of Space Doctors & Semionaut.
- Mariane Cara. What Applied Semiotics can do for footwear retailers? A Brazilian case. Semiotician and Cultural Analyst at Comunicara.
- Mark Lemon. Grasping the New – The Capacity of Semiotics to Embrace Emergent Culture. Position. Senior semiotician at Sign Salad.
- Maurício Trentin. Maps for imaginary lands. My search for an effective innovation catalyst: the creation of Infuse. Methodological innovation. Visual artist.
- Maximino Matus Ruiz. Semiosfera and the Mexico´s city Metro. CONACYT, Researcher, El Colegio de La Frontera Norte (El Colef).
- Merja Bauters. Irritation and “innovation”. Academic research/critique. Helsinki University, Docent of Semiotics.
- Michella Lea Rocco. Out of the Box Lab, a case study about innovating in financial services. case study. for Out of the Box Lab, graduand in Semiotics, Media communication and cultures, Department of Philosophy and Education Sciences, University of Turin.
- Rodrigo Morais. Roberto Chiachiri. Visual Communication in Avatar Therapy. Academic research. Rodrigo Morais is a Professor at Faculdade Cásper. Roberto Chiachiri is a Professor at LíberoFaculdade Cásper Líbero.
- Samuel Grange. The future of communication at distance. How to use semiotics to help the American research team of the Bell Labs (former AT&T) to identify key challenges.
- Sarah Johnson. Play, Engagement, and Addiction: Semiotics and Digital User Interface Design. Principal, Athena Brand Wisdom.
- Sónia Marques. Analysing emergent language as a way to innovation, and how this idea was sold to a Telco. Indiz, Founder.
- Thierry Mortier. axioms of a semiotic architecture. / dot to dot semiotics. semiotic architect.
- Thomas Wendt. Abductive Suggestions: On the Role of Semiotics in Design Innovation. Position paper. Independent Design Strategist and Researcher.
- Vaula Norrena. How to win your consumers’ hearts with semiotic branding. Methodological and planning approach based on semiotic analysis combined with qualitative research. Valores Consult, marketing semiotician.
- Ximena Tobi. Semiotic analysis of online conversations. Methodological innovation / academic research. Semiotica Studio – Owner, University of Buenos Aires, Faculty of Social Science.